Visa stuff

Okay, I’ve read through the pack I’ve been sent. There doesn’t seem that much there to fill in as such, all perfectly seemingly straightforward. A lot to digest though. I’m glad I’ll be able to go through it again with Bill over in the States before I fill it in.

Hmm, judging by these forms it looks like I really should send off for my police check as soon as possible. The whole point of getting the forms now is that apparently I can file the forms at the same time Bill files his side of things so that when (if?!!) the petition is approved everything should already be in order and waiting to be processed at the American Embassy, London. However, it takes at least 40 days to process the police check and receive my certificate and I need to be able to tick a box to say that I have that in my possession before I send the Visa forms back.

I know it’ll probably take an age to get the petition sorted anyway but if I can avoid unnecessary delay I’ll be a lot happier.

Maybe I’ll pop into town later and take photocopies of all the required id documents so that I can sort that out this evening and get it in the post.

8 Responses to Visa stuff

1. nollipop January 29, 2003 at 12:23 pm #

Aaaargh. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but…

It’s now around 6 months for the police check, unless you are a training social worker or newly qualified teacher or such.

My blokie has been waiting 3 months so far and zilch.

Get one off asap if you can!!! (Fingers crossed for you)

Nx.

2. kaypow January 29, 2003 at 12:42 pm #

Hey Nolly,

What’s your bloke wanting a police check for?

*filling my form in now and hunting for my cheque book*

K

3. nollipop January 29, 2003 at 3:58 pm #

He’s trying to get a job teaching ‘naughty’ boys and girls to climb things.

Its sort of an outward bounds for kids with drug/mental health/crime issues, really.
    And anything to do with kids these days entails a police check.

The company say he’s got the job just as soon as the check comes through… Which is the problem!!!

3 months is a looong time to start your dream job.

Hope you get lucky and checked soon!! 🙂

4. nollipop January 29, 2003 at 12:23 pm #

Aaaargh. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but…

My blokie has been waiting 3 months so far and zilch.

Get one off asap if you can!!! (Fingers crossed for you)

Nx.

5. admin January 29, 2003 at 12:42 pm #

Hey Nolly,

What’s your bloke wanting a police check for?

*filling my form in now and hunting for my cheque book*

K

6. nollipop January 29, 2003 at 3:58 pm #

He’s trying to get a job teaching ‘naughty’ boys and girls to climb things.

And anything to do with kids these days entails a police check.

3 months is a looong time to start your dream job.

Hope you get lucky and checked soon!! 🙂

7. kaypow January 30, 2003 at 3:42 am #

Ahhh, that makes sense. Actually come to think of it I seem to recall you mentioning that back in September. Something about listing his addresses for the last 10 years, but how do you include “Sycamore #4, Manchester International Airport”?

Hmm, I’m not sure but the information that came with the form I had to fill in for a police check seemed to indicate that there is a separate office set up for dealing with applicants wishing to work with children. So I’m hoping that there may be two different queues. I hope so anyway, else I’ll cry.

xxKay