Nanna's oak writing bureau

that I inherited when she died has had a reprieve. It’s been stored up in the attic since she passed away as I’ve had nowhere to keep it and now I’m heading to the States it can’t really stay there.

Mum and I hauled it down from the loft and I spruced it up and gave it a good rub over with furniture wax so it’s looking all tidy and clean again now. We’ve had it in sat in the hallway for the past few weeks now, a bit lost and possibly a little nervous about Molly’s hyperactive teeth.

Been putting off dealing with it but today it was supposed to take a trip down to the auction rooms to be put into the next sale but when Mum reversed the car to the back door and we got ready to shift it I just couldn’t do it. It always used to be sat in Nanna’s front room when we went to visit as kids and it’s the only thing I actually asked for when she died. So currently it’s still sat in the hallway.

Mum did a bit of ringing around this afternoon though, finding out how much it costs to ship stuff over to the States. Too much, seems to be the response. Most firms wanted between 3-4 hundred quid to ship something like that over! My bureau isn’t exactly worth anything, just sentimental so those prices are somewhat ridiculous.

Also, got to consider the fact that Bill’ll probably have some sort of opinion on it and where would we put it in the States if it did come over?

*wah!*

Anyhow decision has been delayed for a bit in case a bright idea explodes onto the horizon.

10 Responses to Nanna's oak writing bureau

  1. king_prawn September 10, 2003 at 12:42 pm #

    If it comes apart, then take it over there in pieces on several trips?

  2. nollipop September 10, 2003 at 1:49 pm #

    Tough one

    That’s a really difficult dilemma.

    Again, you’re having to deal with some really concentrated stuff squeezed into a short space of time, which can’t be good!

    It took me years to clean out all my old school stuff, childhood toys, clothes etc., and its suprisingly emotionally demanding.

    Maybe it would be best to leave it in England until you next visit or see how you feel about it in a few years’ time?

    Alteratively, you’ll just have to save up the shipping..?

    Good luck,

    Nx

  3. king_prawn September 10, 2003 at 12:42 pm #

    If it comes apart, then take it over there in pieces on several trips?

  4. kaypow September 10, 2003 at 5:13 pm #

    Nice thinking…

    …but it can’t flat pack, it’s not B&Q you know! Heh.

  5. kaypow September 10, 2003 at 5:22 pm #

    Re: Tough one

    Yeah, this clearing out process certainly isn’t uplifting like they pretend to you in magazines where they tend to proclaim that throwing out the old is refreshing and clears space in your life! Well, not like this anyhow!

    Think the decision on the bureau is to be reconsidered when Bill comes to stay in a few weeks. I think if it’s more of a joint decision on this one I’ll be happier. I think I at least want him to see it before I decide whether or not to sell. Just got to keep it out of the dog’s way a little longer now! 😀

  6. nollipop September 10, 2003 at 1:49 pm #

    Tough one

    That’s a really difficult dilemma.

    Again, you’re having to deal with some really concentrated stuff squeezed into a short space of time, which can’t be good!

    It took me years to clean out all my old school stuff, childhood toys, clothes etc., and its suprisingly emotionally demanding.

    Maybe it would be best to leave it in England until you next visit or see how you feel about it in a few years’ time?

    Alteratively, you’ll just have to save up the shipping..?

    Good luck,

    Nx

  7. admin September 10, 2003 at 5:13 pm #

    Nice thinking…

    …but it can’t flat pack, it’s not B&Q you know! Heh.

  8. admin September 10, 2003 at 5:22 pm #

    Re: Tough one

    Yeah, this clearing out process certainly isn’t uplifting like they pretend to you in magazines where they tend to proclaim that throwing out the old is refreshing and clears space in your life! Well, not like this anyhow!

    Think the decision on the bureau is to be reconsidered when Bill comes to stay in a few weeks. I think if it’s more of a joint decision on this one I’ll be happier. I think I at least want him to see it before I decide whether or not to sell. Just got to keep it out of the dog’s way a little longer now! 😀

  9. boo_11 September 11, 2003 at 4:49 am #

    Re: Tough one

    Aw, certainly does sound like a tough one! Find someone to look after it for you on a long term ‘until-I-might-want-it-back’ loan deal. I have quite a few things scattered around like that :o)

  10. boo_11 September 11, 2003 at 4:49 am #

    Re: Tough one

    Aw, certainly does sound like a tough one! Find someone to look after it for you on a long term ‘until-I-might-want-it-back’ loan deal. I have quite a few things scattered around like that :o)

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes