Stone Mountain

“The bear went over the mountain,
The bear went over the mountain,
The bear went over the mountain,
To see what he could see

To see what he could see,
To see what he could see

The other side of the mountain,
The other side of the mountain,
The other side of the mountain,
Was all that he could see

Was all that he could see,
Was all that he could see,
The other side of the mountain,
Was all that he could see!”

So last Friday Bill and I decided to go to Stone Mountain and climb the summit trail. We had originally planned to do this on March Forth Day but had got sidetracked by rescuing Genghis. Today we were determined.

First off we dropped by the Australian Bakery Cafe to pick up a couple of their veggie pasties then made our way to Stone Mountain Park. Now, Stone Mountain is a great big hunk of granite that climbs 1,683 feet above sea level and rises 825 feet above the surrounding area. Most of the area is actually a huge embarrassment to Bill as on one of its sides there is a large carving depicting three American Civil War Confederate heroes: President Jefferson Davis and Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson, and the park is also littered with many tacky tourist attractions. We closed our eyes to all that though, we were here to climb the mountain.

Thankfully it was a fairly dull day and therefore perfect for climbing up the trail. Any warmer and we would have melted. Unfortunately the downside of this was that any view we’d have had at the top was enshrouded in a blanket of grey. We could just see the School Bus car park at the foot of the mountain, the rows of yellow vehicles disembarking hoardes of rowdy children visible through the mist.

We found a quiet spot away from the chattering juvenile crowds and munched our pasties. Sat in a damp mist on the granite face munching a pasty it felt just like home!

There is a cable car that goes up the side of the mountain (which accounted for the sight of several women wandering around the summit in high heels or flip flops). Each car was packed to the brim with school kids and Bill and I agreed that there was no way you would get either of us in one of those contraptions.

The trail up the mountain is pure rock all the way, and particularly straining on the knees. I have no idea what drove several people who passed us running full pelt up the side to do that. One guy ran up and down the mountain several times as we strolled along on our walk. Either side of the trail there are trees and a little vegetation struggling to survive and put their roots out in the thin layer of soil that covers the stone. Over the last century or so many people have left their mark by carving names and messages into the rock trail. I think the earliest one we saw claimed to be from 1830 something.

En route there are also a few wooden telegraph poles which Bill took great delight in. From a distance they looked really pretty and decorative, but up close you could see that they were just covered in chewing gum. We also had to pass through an avenue between huge boulders that had been covered in gum too. Gross.

On the way back down I had a couple of frights. Once when I peered into a hole at the side of a flag pole which held the Confederate Battle Flag. I’d noticed that something had made a nest in the space and was curious. It looked like a birds nest as it was constructed out of woven twigs, but as I looked this great big bug wasp thing startled the crap out of me when it emerged looking very fierce. No idea what that was, I ran.

The second time was when I investigated a hollow in a tree that looked like it had grown legs and was trying to run off. Bill called it the Ent tree. As I peered inside this hole a flash of blue made me jump and a big lizzard scuttled for cover. Bill told me it was probably a Skink. I’d seen one before at Lookout Mountain, but that one had been small. This one was large. Eeek.

That’ll teach me to get too curious around holes.

Bill tried to buy me an ice-cream at the Summit Cafe but failed. They don’t sell ice-cream!! That’s just wrong!

12 Responses to Stone Mountain

1. nollipop May 5, 2004 at 1:17 pm #

Cool!

Mountaineering K!

What is it about Americans and gum!?? Disgusting.

Nice place though. 🙂

Nx

2. kaypow May 5, 2004 at 1:29 pm #

Re: Cool!

Yeah, it was a good day.

Was going to fake a piccy for you!

Would have been really easy to simply lay down on the trail in silly pose and get Bill to take a photo of Kay supposedly traversing a really impressive vertical rockface.

But embarrassment came out and won. Plus somehow I also think the forgery wouldn’t have got past you!

😀

3. nollipop May 5, 2004 at 1:51 pm #

Re: Cool!

ROFLMAO!!!

Nice of you to think of me up there 🙂

Nx

4. missbumpkin May 5, 2004 at 2:50 pm #

I want to go climbing mountains!
    Sounds like a good day out, all that fresh air and exercise you deserved a pasty. I bought a mushroom and cheese pasty today, but then I felt too sick to eat it..maybe tomorrow.
    Oh, and the gum tree is gross! Could you image the outcry if that happened here? On national Trust land of something? There’s be letters to the ‘Erald!

5. nollipop May 5, 2004 at 1:17 pm #

Cool!

Mountaineering K!

What is it about Americans and gum!?? Disgusting.

Nice place though. 🙂

Nx

6. admin May 5, 2004 at 1:29 pm #

Re: Cool!

Yeah, it was a good day.

Was going to fake a piccy for you!

😀

7. nollipop May 5, 2004 at 1:51 pm #

Re: Cool!

ROFLMAO!!!

Nice of you to think of me up there 🙂

Nx

8. missbumpkin May 5, 2004 at 2:50 pm #

I want to go climbing mountains!

9. ashridge May 6, 2004 at 12:08 pm #

Mumsy and I took the cable car in December.. and cafe at the top wasn’t open!

10. ashridge May 6, 2004 at 12:08 pm #

Mumsy and I took the cable car in December.. and cafe at the top wasn’t open!

11. vilehelm May 8, 2004 at 7:24 am #

I think it was the load of kids crammed into the cars that was more of a deterrent, when it went over the hump and headed down you could hear the shrieks of those kids all over the mountain top.

Well, maybe that would’ve disguised my own girly shrieks…eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

12. vilehelm May 8, 2004 at 7:24 am #