On Monday I hope I had a small breakthrough with my identity crisis. I very bravely took the truck and drove to the Social Security Office on my own (I was shaking when I got there, the interstate is such a white knuckle ride) to get my social security number updated to my married name. I’d tried to do this before and had got turned away as I had no proof I was here legally. This time I had my EAD in hand, but was nervous because it was issued in my married name and I wasn’t sure they would update my details unless that was also correct.
When I got there the place was packed to the brim with people overspilling into the hallway. I pulled a ticket number from the dispenser and was appalled to find that I was number 77. They were currently dealing with number 5. I took a seat and prepared for a long wait.
A short time later I was lucky enough to be sat in easy reach of a lady who decided to give up and try another day. She was nice enough to give me her ticket and I jumped the queue to 51. Hoorah.
Several hours later with my head spinning from boredom the numbers had only marginally progressed, hindered by the staff packing up in shifts and going to lunch, leaving only one window open at a time. I was determined to get seen that day though and resolutely remained at my seat. Thankfully many people weren’t so determined and had left to try again another day. As a result the numbers suddenly started to speed up and jump swathes of places until finally it was my turn.
I gave the lady my form and ID documents and watched as she was excruciating slow at dealing with the information and typing data onto her screen. They obviously do no aptitude testing for speed typing or data entry and processing here. After an age she then almost started to close my case saying that I should have had my EAD by now and would need that before she could continue, until I pointed out that it was right in front of her nose. Okay, that hurdle jumped she then wanted proof that I’d informed immigration of my marriage and name change. Luckily, even though they wouldn’t look at them last time, I’d brought along my receipts for the EAD and Adjustment of Status just in case. They both show my married name being used as the official beneficiary of the applications, and thankfully the lady accepted them as evidence.
Phew. I passed. I handed in my old card and got a letter to prove that I’d applied for a number and that I should get a new card within the next 7-10 days. Success!
So now once I get that I can go apply for my driver’s license! Eeek! *panic*
I hope this also means that when USCIS finally process my real EAD they’ll issue that in the correct name too. Getting there!