Teeth gone and big thanks to Bill and Nurse Quincy

After what seems like at the very least a hellish month, but has only actually been two days I’ve finally made it out of bed and freshened myself up in the shower. I really feel like I’ve been sucked into a timewarp and have totally lost track of time passing.

I remember not sleeping very well Tuesday night and then having to crawl out of bed to get to my 7.30am appointment at the oral surgeons. It was so early that when we got there the lifts in the towerblock weren’t operational yet and we had to go through security and sign in to be allowed access to the dentists. By the time I got there I really really needed the loo again (was very nervous) but of course the toilet for that floor was out of order and one of the ladies had to take us back down 12 floors to the foyer. This did not inspire confidence. I mean, what sort of a practice doesn’t have a bathroom for patients to use?!!

Oh, and when I did find a toilet it was one of those automatic ones and every time I tried to use the loo it kept flushing on me. Then, it refused to flush when I had finished. Grrr.

Back up at the dentists I had to sign a disclaimer which went through every possible scary thing that could happen and was given an after-surgery care sheet which also listed lots of things I really didn’t want to think about. I handed that one over to Bill to deal with.

Bill then handed over a vast sum of money after which I was led into the consulting room. My blood pressure was taken, my arm strapped to the dentist’s chair and an IV inserted.

Woke up in intense pain but very groggy some time later. Was now lying down and Bill wasn’t in sight. Closed my eyes again and thankfully the next time I opened them he had appeared.

I’m sure a conversation with the nurse was held about now, something about how I’d been sick during the procedure I think and wanting to know how my tummy felt now. I had no idea what she was on about, no recollection of anything at all. I think I also mumbled something about my teeth (I wanted to see them, knew I was going to be too anxious to remember to ask for them and had asked Bill to sort this out, he forgot, and I recall the nurse saying something about them being “long gone” and I was upset.)

Then I was being pulled to my feet and put in a wheelchair. Was totally out of it, though I do recall my disembodied feet stumbling into the chair as the nurse fiddled with something on it, the disabled access lift not working and the nurse having to haul me up some stairs into Bill’s arms.

Hurt lots. More than lots.

Next thing I remember is being in back in my own bed, being in excruciating pain and having a mouth full of uncomfortable gauze that I was supposed to bite down on to help stop bleeding. Bill gave me some pain killers but they didn’t even touch it.

What followed next is a blur of drifting in and out of sleep and pain and feeling rather ill. Every so often I felt well enough to try to eat something luke warm, soft and runny (a chocolate diet shake, tomato soup) before totally conking out again. It was impossible to eat even these foods though as straws were off limits and my mouth could barely open. I think it took me practically an hour to finish off a tiny tapioca pudding.

The waves of nausea finally got too much last night and although I’d been trying hard not to vomit for fear of starting bleeding again it all came out.

Bill called the dentist when he woke up and they decided to take me off the codeine and Bill got some ibuprofen for me instead. I spent the morning passed out again but have now woken up feeling a lot better. Still very sore and swollen (I look like a hamster and have no jawline) but well enough to be sat in the front room and for Bill to have made it into work this afternoon. He’s spent the last couple of days looking after me ever so well and coped very well with being at my beck and call. Thanks babe.

Most appreciation and gratitude go out to Quincy though. He’s been an absolute wonder and hasn’t left my side the entire time. Quince has been on guard at the end of the bed and giving me lots of loving.

Genghis, on the other hand, has been confusing. He’s not been himself at all and has refused to be as friendly and bouncy as he usually is. Though, one time I disturbed Genghis by accident trying to get past him to the bathroom, Quince thought he was going for me and stepped up his protection and almost started a snarl fest. I wonder if Quince has been sending out “back off” signals to Genghis?

Thanks also to the kind comments on my LJ. Bill read them to me but the last few days I couldn’t reply properly myself. Cheers.

20 Responses to Teeth gone and big thanks to Bill and Nurse Quincy

1. strangepixel August 6, 2004 at 9:16 pm #

*aww*

Glad you are on the mend now, healing hugs,

Matt:]

2. missbumpkin August 6, 2004 at 10:50 pm #

Poor Kay!
    Glad to hear Bill and Quince have been so fab.
    Lots of love
    The Sprouts

PS We are all drunk on cocktails, especally Lyns and Nath. Nath is “making advances” to Lyns and burping on her head, she keeps shouting at him “Is he a man or a mouse?”. Wish you could see, it’s most entertaining. Now Nath has declared his gay and Lyns said something about kicking him in the bollox…

3. strangepixel August 6, 2004 at 9:16 pm #

*aww*

Glad you are on the mend now, healing hugs,

Matt:]

4. missbumpkin August 6, 2004 at 10:50 pm #

Poor Kay!
    Glad to hear Bill and Quince have been so fab.
    Lots of love
    The Sprouts

5. st353 August 8, 2004 at 6:52 pm #

:[

Hope you feel more human soon! I can guess at how you feel after having four wisdom teeth out at once some years back.

I know what you mean about ‘automated’ toilets … my least favourite american water closet was the one in Chicago airport which not only auto-flushed at random intervals, but which also had ‘hygenic seat covers’ which were automatically removed and replaced each flush … resulting in me catapaulting ungraciously into the WC door.

6. nollipop August 8, 2004 at 10:21 pm #

Yeeoutch

Well, at least after you’ve recovered they’ll be no more wisdom pain-ever!

Sounds excruciating but it’s good to know you are being well looked-after.

Here’s to nice new non-twingy mouth and hope you’ll be able to cope with voddie and chocolate again soon.

Nx

7. st353 August 8, 2004 at 6:52 pm #

:[

8. nollipop August 8, 2004 at 10:21 pm #

Yeeoutch

Well, at least after you’ve recovered they’ll be no more wisdom pain-ever!

Sounds excruciating but it’s good to know you are being well looked-after.

Nx

9. kaypow August 9, 2004 at 6:46 am #

Re: :[

Ugh, poor Steve, 4 teeth? Then you feel my pain. I am feeling pretty lucky at this point to have only had 3 wisdom teeth to deal with. Though this does lend the questions… where on Earth has the missing tooth got to? and will it turn up somewhere unexpected in the future? Maybe it’s gallivanting around Europe on a backpacking holiday and will suddenly turn up on my doorstep demanding to cause mayhem and mischief? Or maybe it’s taken a quick trip down to a bachelor party my left knee was throwing and will return drunk, hungover, abusive and smelling of fags?

Did you get to see you wisdom teeth when they were hacked out of your head? I’m still sore I forgot to ask for them. You’d think the dentist would know to ask such important things as whether you’d like to keep your expelled teeth as pets before he knocks you out and makes everything hurt like hell. They inflicted torment on me, it’s only fair I get the chance to keep them prisoner in a jar and torture them a bit too.

10. kaypow August 9, 2004 at 6:50 am #

Re: Yeeoutch

Mmm voddie and chocolate! You know, I think I could cope with chocolate just fine, *nod nods* so it’s probably just as well that I haven’t found any I really like over here yet. Bah humbug.

Looking forward to having that new non-twingy mouth! Bill assures me that everyone I spoke to before the op who said their experience was just fine and they were as right as rain afterwards weren’t lying, but I’m really not convinced. Damn them all.

11. kaypow August 9, 2004 at 6:54 am #

Yeah, Quince has been awesome. As has Bill, but whereas Bill understands what was going on you can’t really explain or request such things from a dog so I’m most impressed with my delightful doggy. Besides, Bill’s my lovely hubby and looking after me is his job now. Muahahahaha.

Since I’ve been up and about Genghis has returned to his usual self and will jump onto the bed and play with Monkey again, so I really think Quince must have been sending out some protective guarding signals. Genghis really can get a bit boisterous at times and I thank Quince very much for stopping him jumping on my head if that is the case.

I want a cocktail. You know my address! 😉

12. st353 August 9, 2004 at 7:01 am #

Re: :[

4 teeth?
    Yup :/
    Didn’t get to see them – which was a shame. Not sure what state they’d be in … they’d been growing forwards [compacting my other teeth] as opposed to upwards, so I’m not sure what state they’d be in.

I’m sure you’ll find the missing tooth is part of a conspiracy. It’s going to wait until the most inoppertune moment, and then start up like the others. Keep an eye in your diary for important events in a few years …

13. kaypow August 9, 2004 at 7:05 am #

Re: *aww*

Thanks. I’m currently very grumpy, grouchy and terribly sore but I hope things are sorting themselves out. I am so tired of hurting right now. Saturday, I woke up feeling far worse than the day before and whereas on Friday I was thinking maybe I could be taking the dogs for a walk or going to ping pong by now, I still feel like crap.

I’m glad memory of pain tends to be so bad though. I was trying to think back to when I broke my collarbone and what that was like, and you know, I really can’t remember. So with any luck this will be an experience pushed to the back of consciousness as soon as possible too..please?!

Hope you are okay? Any idea when you might expect to hear back about that job?

Molly is back from the kennels now and Mum and Dad seem pleased with their treatment of her. Sally always used to come back smelling so bad that Dad, Sy or I would have to walk her back across the moors rather than let her in the car. Mowgs has however been following Dad around like a bad smell and won’t let him out of her sight.

Oh, and in other news. Mel is now a British subject. Well, okay, she’ll be a dual citizen, so still Aussie too. I guess it’s official once she attends whatever ceremony it is that they hold now.

14. admin August 9, 2004 at 6:46 am #

Re: :[

15. admin August 9, 2004 at 6:50 am #

Re: Yeeoutch

16. admin August 9, 2004 at 6:54 am #

I want a cocktail. You know my address! 😉

17. st353 August 9, 2004 at 7:01 am #

Re: :[

4 teeth?
    Yup :/

18. admin August 9, 2004 at 7:05 am #

Re: *aww*

Hope you are okay? Any idea when you might expect to hear back about that job?

19. strangepixel August 9, 2004 at 4:50 pm #

Re: *aww*

You’ll soon heal, just keep pumping those pain killers! It seems like Bill and the doggles are doing a good job and you have Ed too, so you don’t even have to get out of bed!

Glad your folks and Molly are cool, I think Molly would make a good Frisbee dog!, my friend Toby is trying to train his inlaws spaniel to catch frisbees, but they keep bouncing off Ruby’s [the dog] head! No idea about the job thing, sorry, oh I saw a very good Icelandic movie yesterday called Reykjavik 101 :]

20. strangepixel August 9, 2004 at 4:50 pm #