I miss Ed

Poor Ed got sent back to Apple to be repaired the other day. When Bill bought me a spanking new 512 mb ram it should have been a joyous day. However, it was not. It was a day when I discovered that my baby had a duff slot. When I’d checked to see how much memory was installed in him he’d listed 256 mb and an empty slot. When Bill went to install the new memory to make Ed run like lightning he discovered that actually Ed already had two 256 mb cards, just one wasn’t working. A little investigation followed and soon we deduced that the lower slot didn’t work at all. I have no idea how long poor Ed has been struggling on reduced hardware, but really he could have arrived broken…I just wouldn’t have thought to look.

On a positive note however, at least we did notice this issue now as Ed is still within his warranty period and can thus be fixed and made as good as new.

I don’t like him being away on his own though and I do hope he is okay.

*twitches*

Sunday was the Super Bowl, which I still don’t understand at all, and I’m not even sure I really want to. Bill and I spent the evening at a Super Bowl party held by some friends where I was terribly confused by all things American.

Not being a great meat eater (mainly not, but on occasion I relent) I steered clear of the food and made sure I’d eaten in advance, but I do have to make mention of Erick’s culinery skill. I caught a glimpse into the oven as he was tending to the meal and was surprised to see a rather large flower pot nestled within. His explanation was that the oven doesn’t give a constant heat so placing the beef in a surround of thick terracotta regulates the temperature and ensures an even succulent cooking. Cunning.

I think my favourite moment of the evening was half-time. Not because the American football has a much appreciated break, or because Paul McCartney led the intermission (ugh!) but because Dave, Erick and Jim played with submarines in a rather large and impressive aquarium. Of course, Bill had to have a go too and also took turns at terrorising the biggest plecostomous I’ve ever seen with a little remote control submarine, complete with lights. Heh heh. If I could ever lose my curse where it comes to keeping fish (I’ve now even managed to kill 3 snails and a bunch of plants in our fishless fish-tank! gah!) I’d like a tank like that please.

10 Responses to I miss Ed

1. ashridge February 11, 2005 at 8:23 am #

Forget Ed!

Forget Ed, the remote control submarines sound like fun! I want a submarine with torpedos, then I can terrorise the hundreds of frogs in the pond at the moment.

2. ashridge February 11, 2005 at 8:23 am #

Forget Ed!

3. garagara_a_gogo February 11, 2005 at 2:35 pm #

I can’t believe I slept through all the SuperBowl shenanigans!!!! Of course, you just answered the question I’ve had in my mind all week, which is: “Why is there a broken terra cotta planter in my backyard?” 😛

4. garagara_a_gogo February 11, 2005 at 2:35 pm #

5. kaypow February 12, 2005 at 4:55 pm #

Yeah, sorry you weren’t able to be there, was looking forward to saying hello again. Sounds like you had a very rough week and I’m glad to hear you are beginning to get over being ill now. That really sucks. We were down the StarBar last night and Jim is sounding terribly rough at the moment too, must be some horrid bugs flying around at the moment. Hope you manage to steer clear of the next one.

Of course, you just answered the question..

heh..my pleasure! 😉 Always pleased to help!

Oh…I did get to meet someone special on Sunday though! Gerty dropped by just as we were leaving and I got to give her a little hug. She’s adorable! So small but so precious!

6. kaypow February 12, 2005 at 5:01 pm #

Re: Forget Ed!

Yup..they were great!! Though I’m not really sure you’d have a whole lot of fun with them in pond! More likely to just snag one and lose it. In the aquarium it was great though.

However…does sound like you need to do some froggy culling! I think one of the subs was supposed to have torpedoes but they didn’t work. 🙁

7. admin February 12, 2005 at 4:55 pm #

Of course, you just answered the question..

heh..my pleasure! 😉 Always pleased to help!

8. admin February 12, 2005 at 5:01 pm #

Re: Forget Ed!

9. garagara_a_gogo February 13, 2005 at 9:41 pm #

*squeeee*!!! I hope she was on best behavior for you. 🙂 Dave said she was a little timid and shy around all the people at the party…that’s a first(?). I think we’re all on the path of recovery now…or at least hope so. Indeed, the illnesses going around are brutal this season!

10. garagara_a_gogo February 13, 2005 at 9:41 pm #