A sampling of duck, cheese and pork.

Last Saturday was the day of Jim’s wedding so Bill and I were left to our own devices to the day while the Downes’ got all spruced up and went to the celebrations.

Once we’d pulled ourselves together and got the Sam show on the road we decided to take the boy down into Tavistock with us for the afternoon. It was a bustling day for the market town as there was a cheese festival being held in the Town Hall and the annual hot air balloon festival was in progress in the school grounds.

First, we took Sam and a plastic bag of stale bread into the Meadows and went to feed the ducks who live in the canal. Bill held Sam in the Baby Bjorn and sat on the bank. Pretty soon we had a lot of quacking and jostling going on around us.

We then walked through the park and into Tavistock where we checked out the bustling cheese fayre and got to sample lots of tasty dairy delights. It was hard to pick out favourites but we narrowed it down to three which we couldn’t resist buying more of.

Our intention was then to go to see what was happening at the school for the balloon festival and so we ambled back along the canal all the way down to that end of town. When we got there though there wasn’t a hot air balloon in sight and so rather than pay admission I decided to drive up to Pork Hill and pay a visit to the ice cream van.

We stopped en route at Ashridge to pick up Molly and take her for walkies with us. She was a very lucky girl, we didn’t know that she wasn’t allowed in Mum’s car! Bill and I thoroughly enjoyed stretching our legs up on the moors overlooking Tavistock, although upon seeing the familiar jagged face of Vixen Tor to our left, we once more cursed the evil Mrs Alford for closing it off to the public. Boo hiss!

As always Pork Hill was a winner, and thankfully somewhat less blustery and chilly than it was when we were there at Christmas.

10 Responses to A sampling of duck, cheese and pork.

1. ashridge September 7, 2006 at 1:14 pm #

Never trust Mowgs when it comes to going out in cars….she loves travelling.

Niove piccies

Pork hill at Christmas was great….I love crisp weather.

Have you designed the Sammy stamp yet?

2. ashridge September 7, 2006 at 1:16 pm #

Don’t know what happened there but of course I meant NICE piccies…must have ben a pigeon on the Ashridge broadband line!

3. ashridge September 7, 2006 at 1:14 pm #

Never trust Mowgs when it comes to going out in cars….she loves travelling.

Niove piccies

Pork hill at Christmas was great….I love crisp weather.

Have you designed the Sammy stamp yet?

4. ashridge September 7, 2006 at 1:16 pm #

5. Anonymous September 14, 2006 at 5:33 pm #

Kay,

Glad to see you had a good time back over in the UK. The shots of the moors look fantastic, you must miss having that on your doorstep.
    Have only just managed to sit down and read through your site again since Jul(the hi tech world of my office preferring white boards to the internet!) How quickly is Sam growing?! We should start the bets now as to how tall he ends up.
    Take care

Zoe

6. kaypow September 14, 2006 at 7:01 pm #

Hi Zoe,

Good to hear from you again. How’s it going? Where are you are the moment?

Yup, it was glorious being back in Devon, I love Dartmoor. It is good to be back with friends in Atlanta though.

Sam had his 4 month doctor’s visit the other week, he measured 25.5 inches then. His doctor said that put him in the 75th percentile for height, which would be taller than average. He’s growing so fast, really looks like a little boy now and not my tiny baby anymore. Hope he grows up to be as tall as Dad or Sy.

I bought him a jolly jumper (bouncer you hang from a door frame) in the UK and that has really strengthened up his legs. He’s so keen to stand all the time now. Yesterday I put all his toys around him and he was jumping around and booting them all over the place…maybe a football star in the making? lol

All the best,

Kay

7. Anonymous September 14, 2006 at 5:33 pm #

Kay,

Take care

Zoe

8. admin September 14, 2006 at 7:01 pm #

Hi Zoe,

Good to hear from you again. How’s it going? Where are you are the moment?

All the best,

Kay

9. Anonymous September 15, 2006 at 11:27 am #

Sounds like he is going to be a tall chap, and with any luck a good kicker. You’ll need to get him back over here to ensure his rugby skills develop properly though….

I am currently back on the mainland in Pewsey on a couple of weeks leave as I am about to disappear again for six months. I did manage to make my first trip over to the US a couple of weeks ago as we had a conference in Tampa. My preparation for the trip consisted of my smug ‘I’ve bagged a free trip to the Sunshine State’ dance around the office and not a recce of the weather conditions. I like to think that hurricanes add just as much to a free ‘mini break’ though… It did preclude the use of the roof top pool somewhat (although being typical Brits we did try to get in during one storm. No sense of adventure those hotel attendants.)

Quite entertained by the thought of having to bring the floor to the feet in order to use the jumper. How long before he starts kicking away the pedestal as a new game?

Take care