26 weeks young

The cheeky Master Samuel has been with us for six months now. The illustrious occasion of his half birthday was last Friday and marked with his first foray into the world of big boy food.

I still don’t think Sam is showing any signs of wanting to eat solids.  He is quite content on the Breastmilk Diet, seems to have lost none of his tongue thrust reflex and doesn’t seem to be too bothered when Bill or I are eating food in front of him.

I spoke to his doctor on his Thursday visit and agreed to start giving rice cereal a shot anyway though as she explained that after six months your baby’s vitamin and mineral supplies gained in utero are diminished and it’s a good idea to start supplementing breastmilk with cereals that tend to be fortified with vitamins and iron.  She wasn’t pushy about it and also recommended the book “Super Baby Food” when I mentioned I was also keen on making my own baby mush rather than throwing money at Gerber et al, and filling the tip with baby food jars.

So, on the occasion of his half birthday I thought I might as well give it a shot. Funky coloured plastic spoons and bowls were brought out of their holding pattern in the cupboard depths. Some rice cereal with a little breastmilk was lovingly mixed up.  The baby was positioned in his chair. Sam’s first bib was placed around his neck, and the feeding began.

I can’t say it went down too well.

Sam’s little tongue pushed all the rice cereal straight out and down his front, soaking him completely.  The bib did a grand job of being useless and just flapped around, getting in the way when Sam decided it was more fun to chew on that than the stupid food Mum was giving him.  Rice cereal made it to all layers of clothing and the floor despite our best efforts. Dogs didn’t help matters by circling like sharks and generally getting in the way in an effort to help their little brother out.

Sam bawled throughout.

Our second attempt went a little better with Sam staying in a better mood, though the tongue thrust was still strong and Sam developed an interesting technique.  As the spoon neared his mouth he would throw his head back, grin, open wide and wait for the rice to be unceremoniously dumped within.  Efficient yes, but not exactly quite what we were after.

Each attempt so far has been followed by a much needed dunk in the bath tub for our hero.

Oh, and I think the consistency of the rice cereal helped make the second feeding better.  The first time I did what I was told and made a very runny mixture with 5 parts breastmilk to one part rice.  This then
would not stay on the spoon and got everywhere.  I ignored this advice the second time and made it up so that it was more of a soft drop consistency.  That went down Sam’s throat much better and not down his top, and into his ears, or between his toes.

Obviously, it’s still early in our solids experience but as Sam’s tongue thrust reflex is still definitely so strong I think we’re just going to have to try not to make a big deal out of feeding so that it doesn’t become an issue and just keep practising that pesky eating with a spoon trick.  Breastmilk should still be the main source of nutrition and solids at this stage are just another learning experience.

Hooray for Sam!

And so ends the latest tome from Kay.

6 Responses to 26 weeks young

1. michelle_renee October 31, 2006 at 11:02 am #

Try getting one of these
    and put an avocado in it or a hunk of banana –
    Breastfed babies tend to like both.

We put ice in it at first and Violet LOVED teething on it.

If you stay on the boob juice diet and rice cereal isnt working – you can give tri vi sol drops too

🙂

2. michelle_renee October 31, 2006 at 11:02 am #

Try getting one of these
    and put an avocado in it or a hunk of banana –
    Breastfed babies tend to like both.

We put ice in it at first and Violet LOVED teething on it.

🙂

3. ashridge November 2, 2006 at 2:08 pm #

he would throw his head back, grin, open wide and ….?

Don’t worry he’s just practising for pints of beer. Ask Sy!

Lovely pics of Sammykins as always.

4. ashridge November 2, 2006 at 2:08 pm #

he would throw his head back, grin, open wide and ….?

Don’t worry he’s just practising for pints of beer. Ask Sy!

Lovely pics of Sammykins as always.

5. kaypow November 10, 2006 at 3:21 pm #

Sorry about the delayed response time…I seem to barely get time to keep my folks happy by updating LJ, let alone reply to comments! I’m sure you know all about that too though! 🙂

Thanks for the link, I showed my husband and he was rather taken by the idea. Sam’s been doing really well with the spoon feeding but that little net contraption looks like a cunning plan. I’ve scoped out some similar ones at our local baby shop and I think we may give it a try when we get hub’s next pay check. If nothing else I imagine it will help Sam to keep hold of his own food and stop the dogs greedily circling his plate when I turn my back!

The transition to solids has been interesting. I was rather dreading it to be honest, the breastfeeding is just so convenient and made me rather lazy. I wasn’t looking forward to actually having to feed him properly! In reality though I’m having a great time making Sam his own little veggie dishes alongside our own suppers and everyone is benefiting because I’m less apt to reach for frozen convenience foods and will try to concoct a homemade meal each night. It’s a challenge when Sam is awake and demanding attention, but fun, and very satisfying to know that the whole family is eating healthily and the ridiculous amount of money we would throw at take out has certainly decreased drastically. Hoorah!

Hope your Violet is doing well? I have no idea how you manage to work and be a mum, grats on seeming to be coping so well with everything being thrown at you. I can barely keep one role together, Sam wears me out! Always good to read your updates and see how you are getting on. Also, it’s great to be reminded that there are so many ways to raise a child and that the way one deals with one’s own child is by no means the be all and end all.

🙂 -K